So my companions and I have decided on new costumes this year for Halloween that will also serve for attending a comic book convention this late Fall. This of course requires planning and lots of fun of dreaming up creative ideas on how to solve various problems that arise when making costumes. I probably should be a “Cosplay person”, but I’m not sure I really fit into that crowd. Not really sure what that all means, if you know what I mean. Anyway, back to the project…. So we have a Star Wars theme this time since I have been watching the reruns of the Clone Wars, which I have seriously enjoyed. I keep wondering if we shall see Ahsoka and Ventress again, since we don’t see them die anywhere and they are both trained in the ways of the Force. So I was inspired to be a Jedi and did some drawings for figuring out how the costume should look since there are some variations within the movies. My husband is going to repair his Mandalorian costume, and we decided to make our friend a Wookie costume since he has always thought it would be fun to dress up in a fuzzy costume.
Okay – that seem pretty straight forward huh? One costume is basically complete and just needs repairs and a few additions. Repair the Mandalorian and add jet pack. The Jedi Knight is a basic series of layers, which is no problems for a person that has designed and sewn Renaissance clothing (most specifically Landsknecht), and the tough one is the Wookie costume. Never made a giant full bodied gear such as that before.
So far…. the Jedi costume has been a bloody nightmare. Could not find the pattern I wanted – it was discontinued. The pattern that I did obtain does not work well for females. It appeared to be a more male oriented, so I knew I would need to make some small adjusts. I selected and cut out an appropriate size since the pattern said that the small and not the extra small would fit my measurements. HA! They were totally incorrect! I cut up my lovely light tan fabric, which I can’t get anymore of, and made a beautiful tunic that fits my husband and not me. 😦
So back to the drawing board. My budget is limited. I need to buy fabric for the tunic now, which before the funds were slated to buy fabric for the cloak. So I start looking through my old collection of fabrics and discovered I have enough wool to make a black Jedi cloak. Hmm. Black. Not what I planned. Luke wears black and so does Anakin/Darth Vader….hate Palpatine…not a Darth Mal person. And originally I was not planning on doing an actual character within the films. I was going to make a generic character of my own based upon the concepts of the Jedi characters. This has been a roller coaster, which was unexpected.
So I designed a whole new concept around the black cloak idea and need to perfect the other patterns before I go any further. Started with an old bed sheet to redesign the Jedi tunic piece. Still in that process. Halloween is not far away and I still have a Wookie costume to construct! The stress is on.
G. Winkler (c) 2014