Still working on a set of two new and one updated costume for this Halloween and a Comic Convention for this Fall. Unlike the Batgirl costume from last year, my Jedi costume is being made completely from scratch. The Batgirl costume was a modified store costume, and that was mainly because I just was not in the mood to fight with all the planning and sewing for a project such as this. But this year….I felt like I was up to the challenge. It’s been a bumpy road to success. And I still don’t know if success is really on the horizon.
One thing that I have found to be stressful is that I keep worrying about people being critical about my costuming, which is ridiculous. This is for fun. I am not entering a Star Wars technical costume contest. I am just putting something together for fun. But I also want to make this in the spirit of the Star Wars universe. I think I am having bad flashbacks from my old Ren Faire days when we encountered the dreaded costume Nazis, who often thought they knew more than what they really did. So I keep telling myself that if I encounter these kind of people – they may encounter the dark side of the force. 🙂
So here is a visual update on our Star Wars themed project for this year.
Awesome fabric for the Wookie costume. I was seriously surprised and impressed with this fabric that was purchased online. I normally prefer to touch and examine the fabric that I purchase, so this great fabric was a wonderful surprise.
Cutting fur fabric is always challenging. Putting the fabric face down and keeping the scissor blades up high and making short cuts while cutting will reduce shredding up the fuzzy part of the fabric. We also took a pencil and traced around the edge of the pattern. This also made cutting easier.
Needed to alter this store bought shirt/sweater to make the sleeves the correct length for the costume.
Section of the sleeve to make it appear to have long sleeves. It was a real challenge to find a fabric that would look okay. Getting a perfect match was not going to happen.
Here’s what it looks like when the sleeve sections are added to the store bought item. I still need to find a way to keep this item closed in the front. I selected it for the design that worked well with the Jedi style of garment. Please note that the seemed area will not be seen since it will be underneath another garment piece.
This vest like piece has been complicated to construct. For me, it is really important to be comfortable in a costume. I construct my costumes to be clothing and not costumes so much. Being comfortable is everything. This is constructed from upholstery fabric. It had the right kind of texture and weight that I was observing in some of the Jedi gear. One thing I noticed from the movies was that the clothing worn by the Jedi had lots of texture and was not made from a simple sheeting fabric. It had nice texture and flow.
I hope my photos will provide some fun inspiration for your costume projects for this Halloween or other times when wearing something completely fun is in need. More updates will be coming soon.
Gretchen Winkler © 2014