Okay, I have engaged in the creative craziness again by wanting to create three new costumes for Halloween. And the party is scheduled for 28th of October, so I have even less time to get things done.
We decided to go Sith this Halloween since we normally play Jedi. My husband choose Kylo Ren and our best friend was told he was playing Darth Sidious since we think he could manage that character along with the costume requirements. He wears a Wookiee mask as Gungi, so he needed a bit of a break from the super hot costume. That left me. I needed a break from the makeup intense Kage Warrior Jedi that I have developed. So I wanted a mask. Love Darth Vader….but to me….he should be a tall hulking and very male presence….I wasn’t going to do that. I can’t pull it off. Darth Traya was a thought but she has the white hair like my Kage and so I didn’t want them to get mixed up. So I selected Darth Nihilus. ……what a truly dark character…..creepy, scary….monster of a being…..
And yes, I am completely stressed about getting these costumes done. My husband and I are working diligently on these projects.
One thing I have to suggest is if you are sewing from the Kylo Ren pattern, don’t do the goofy sleeves with the zippers. Use stretchy knit fabric that will flex when the wearer bends their arms. I like being comfortable in my costumes. I want them to be like clothing. Here are some quick pictures of the process we used for the altered sleeve design. It does take time, but saves a lot of stress and anguish later on.
You will need about two yards of black knit fabric depending upon the size you choose to make. Pick some substantial knit fabric and nothing too wimpy. Make sure the direction that you pleated the fabric will be the same of the stretch of the fabric. Check the fabric before you purchase it. Here are some quick pictures to help you get the idea. We pleated the fabric before we cut the sleeve. The pleats are sown to make sure they stay pleated.
The Darth Nihilus mask is such an important part of the costume that I decided to order it from a mask maker in Canada. I knew I could not make this mask the way I wanted it to be with such a short amount of time, so I opted for this investment. It was well worth it. The mask maker is Khro’s Nest. They also have a facebook page where I was able to chat with the mask maker, who was amazingly helpful. Kim at Khro’s Nest even made sure I was able to find the specs from the 501st concerning their requirements for making the costume. Below are a few pictures of my preparation for getting the mask ready for use in the costume.
Then I hand painted the the red and the silver onto the mask with acrylic paint. The lines are not perfect but I don’t do well with painting over stencils although I was able to use the ones I was given to get the correct shape of the lines. I will give the paint some time to cure before putting a protective coating over the paint work. I am pleased with the results and think my first Sith costume will be a lot of fun. I still need to study the history of the character before going to the party. It’s important to understand who you are dressed as. 😉
Hopefully, I will have some updates of the costumes soon and can share what the end results of the projects has been.
G.Winkler © 2016